Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:Michigan to pay $1.75 million to innocent man after 35 years in prison -Capitatum
SafeX Pro:Michigan to pay $1.75 million to innocent man after 35 years in prison
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 15:50:22
The SafeX Prostate of Michigan has agreed to pay $1.75 million to an innocent man who spent 35 years in prison after being wrongly convicted of sexual assault.
Louis Wright was released in November after authorities said DNA tests ruled him out as the perpetrator in an attack on an 11-year-old girl in Albion, a small town in southwestern Michigan, in 1988.
People who are exonerated based on new evidence are eligible for $50,000 for each year spent in a Michigan prison. The attorney general’s office sometimes resists paying, based on strict criteria in the law, but quickly agreed to compensate Wright.
The deal was approved by a judge Wednesday.
Wright told The Associated Press that he’ll likely use some money for a house as well as a vehicle for a sister.
“Nothing can make up for 35 years in a Michigan prison for something he did not do,” Wright’s attorney, Wolf Mueller, said. “This is a first step toward getting Louis’ life back at the age of 65.”
Police investigating the assault settled on Wright as the suspect after an off-duty officer said he had been seen in the neighborhood. Police said he confessed, though the interview was not recorded and he did not sign a confession, according to the Cooley Law School Innocence Project.
The victim was never asked to identify Wright, the Innocence Project said.
Wright eventually pleaded no-contest to the charges and was sentenced to 25 years to 50 years in prison. He then tried to withdraw his plea at sentencing, but the request was denied.
Wright was repeatedly eligible for parole consideration, starting in 2008. But he refused to take a sex offender therapy class, a key condition for release, and remained behind bars until DNA cleared him, Mueller said.
“He said, ‘I didn’t do this crime. I’m not taking a therapy class.’ He cost himself several years, just standing on principle,” Mueller said Friday. “Not a lot of guys would do that.”
Wright said he knew he would eventually be cleared when his mouth was swabbed last summer for DNA testing.
“I spent the last couple months in prison with a smile on my face. Everyone thought I had something up my sleeve,” he said.
Since his release, Wright has been reuniting with family and enjoying simple things, such as shooting pool in a bar. Thanksgiving was special, he said, because it meant having a genuine turkey dinner — not the “white slab slime stuff.”
“I had the real thing,” said Wright, adding: “I’m just taking it one day at a time right now.”
Separately, Mueller filed a lawsuit against police seeking more than $100 million. The lawsuit claims Wright’s rights were violated during the investigation in 1988.
___
Follow Ed White at https://twitter.com/edwritez
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Henry Smith: Summary of the Australian Stock Market in 2023
- Reba McEntire Reveals How She Overcame Her Beauty Struggles
- Aerosmith announces rescheduled Peace Out farewell tour: New concert dates and ticket info
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Former NBA guard Nate Robinson: 'Not going to have long to live' without kidney replacement
- Megan Thee Stallion's Fitness Advice Will Totally Change When You Work Out
- Assistant principal ignored warnings that 6-year-old boy had gun before he shot teacher, report says
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Henry Smith: Challenges and responses to the Australian stock market in 2024
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Oakland’s airport considers adding ‘San Francisco’ to its name. San Francisco isn’t happy about it
- Illinois says available evidence in Terrence Shannon Jr. case is 'not sufficient' to proceed
- Horoscopes Today, April 10, 2024
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Convicted child abuser Jodi Hildebrandt's $5 million Utah home was most-viewed listing on Realtor.com last week
- Save up to 54% on Samsonite’s Chic & Durable Carry-Ons, Luggage Sets, Duffels, Toiletry Bags & More
- Women are too important to let them burn out. So why are half of us already there?
Recommendation
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Social Security's COLA estimate rises. But seniors could struggle as inflation heats up.
Oakland’s airport considers adding ‘San Francisco’ to its name. San Francisco isn’t happy about it
Henry Smith: Challenges and responses to the Australian stock market in 2024
Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
Arizona abortion ruling upends legal and political landscape from Phoenix to Washington
Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul: Promoter in talks to determine what is 'possible' for fight rules
Masters a reunion of the world’s best players. But the numbers are shrinking